- Current, unrestricted licensure as a registered nurse/advanced practice registered nurse
- 1500 hours practice as CNS or NP during previous 5 years, plus
- 100 contact hours of education (minimum 65 hours in clinical orthopaedics, up to 35 hours in general nursing)
Orthopaedic nurses are everywhere! ONCB defines practice broadly for the APN, to include direct patient care roles, education, case management, consulting, and management.
A candidate for recertification by continuing education must meet all eligibility requirements for recertification, including the required practice hours, and pay all recertification fees.
Current fees for APN recertification by continuing education are as follows:
- $280 NAON members, $395 non-members with LearningBuilder submission
- $330 NAON members, $445 non-members with paper submission
ONP-Cs also can recertify by retaking the examination. Maintain continuous certification by testing before the expiration date of the current certification term. See “ONP-C Certification” on this site for additional exam information.
Incomplete or inaccurate applications may be subject to audit.
- All incomplete applications will not be processed without submission of a $20 incomplete application fee as requested by the ONCB.
- A letter or email will be sent describing the deficiencies in any incomplete or inaccurate applications, and the certificant will be given a deadline to address the identified areas.
- ONCB reserves the right to request supporting documentation from any applicant for recertification. This includes, but is not limited to, incomplete applications.
Recertification applications will be accepted with a postmark between July 1 and September 30 with payment of an additional $45 late fee. All continuing education, however, must have been earned before June 30 of the credential expiration year. The late fee will be added to the required payment when submitting through LearningBuilder. Certificants using paper applications should add the $45 to the regular fee to avoid having the application returned.
Recertification applications require a minimum of 6 weeks for processing. Please time your submission appropriately to ensure you receive a new certificate before any deadlines established by your employer. For example, new documents related to an application submitted in mid-June may not be available until late July. Applications are processed in the order received; no exceptions will be granted.
Any applicant who is denied recertification or desires a refund can request return of payment less an $85.00 administrative fee. Requests for refund of recertification fees must be received no later than December 1 of the year of credential expiration. Any requests received after that date will not be processed.
ONCB reserves the right to make fee changes at any time.